Screwdriver suggestions for you MacBook Pro and Air:
1. iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit – Electronics, Smartphone, Computer & Tablet Repair KitScrewdriver Toolkit
2. iRepairmac Bottom Case Screw Set and Pentalobe Screwdriver for MacBook Retina 13″Screwdriver P5
Sometimes, Mac users may see a black screen when they wake up their Mac from a sleeping mode. When you attempt to wake a Mac from sleep or open your MacBook lid, the screen stays black, although the computer is obviously awake as often indicated by the keyboard being lit up or even alert sounds triggering from the computer. This black screen upon sleep wake issue can happen at random, I encountered the black screen on wake issue after updating my MacBook Pro to the latest version of MacOS, so although it’s not particularly common it’s also not exceedingly rare.
Don’t panic! If you experience an unresponsive black screen when waking your Mac from sleep, you’ll likely be able to resolve the problem with the following troubleshooting steps.
I Will Show You some Methods for Resolving a Black Screen on Mac When Waking from Sleep
We’ve broken down this troubleshooting guide into sections from the easiest and most obvious solutions to the more complicated, follow along as needed.
1: Check Screen Brightness & Power
Before anything else, check this :
- Turn the screen brightness all the way up
- Make sure the Mac is actually powered on
- If the Mac is using an external display, make sure that display is powered on
- Check to make sure the Mac is plugged in to a power source (even a laptop, the battery could be drained)
Often the brightness is just turned down low or the computer is actually off and not in sleep mode. Simply turning the brightness up or turning the Mac on will resolve those type of issues quickly.
2: Power Your Mac Off and Back On
The next step is to turn the Mac off, then turn it back on again. This will typically allow you to regain access to the computer, and it is usually sufficient to resolve the black screen on wake problem completely. You can force reboot with the following simple instructions:
- Hold down the Power button on the Mac until the computer shuts down
- Wait a few moments and then hold down the Power button on the Mac again until it boots back up again
Sometimes just rebooting the Mac will be sufficient to remedy the issue completely, this is often the case if you encounter the black screen on wake after updating Mac system software.
3: Reset SMC, NVRAM
If the Mac repeatedly gets stuck on a black screen when waking from sleep, you should reset the onboard power management and NVRAM.
For modern MacBook Pro machines, the steps to perform both SMC and NVRAM reset are as follows:
- Turn off the Mac
- Disconnect the Power cable
- Hold down Shift + Control + Option and Power button at the same time for 12 seconds
- Release all keys at the same time, then reconnect the Power cable and turn the Mac back on again
- Next, reboot the Mac again and this time hold down Command+Option+P+R keys concurrently for about 20 seconds, this resets the NVRAM
For other Macs you can read How to reset SMC on Macs
4: Black Screen on Wake Still Appearing?
Than follow All instructions i have showed up in this Video Tutorial
My trusty my early 2013 15″ MacBook Pro laptop had become intermittent on startup. My battery showed it needed attention so I thought that was the problem and replaced it. Following that it was a bit more likely to start up but it remained intermittent and then finally became impossible to start. I tried every possible key combination but nothing worked. I was ready to throw the laptop in the garbage and then I came across this video tutorial. I thought it was a crazy but I decided to try it as I was out of ideas. I followed the step by step as described and then put it back together. I started it up and it worked. I not sure how but it did. It now starts up and runs like it used to. Thank you.